Thursday, May 3, 2007

Underground



I came across a strange sight the other day, while I was going about my regular daily schedule. It kind of caught me by surprise, though I guess it shouldn't have.

There I was, strolling down the avenue, when I saw some people bent over, their heads stuck in the dirt. I quickly ran to get a shovel, to try and dig them out, but when I drew close to help them, they each declined assistance.

This struck me as abnormal. Why would someone dig a hole in the sand and bury his or her face beneath the soil? So I asked, and was given this reply "As long as our heads are buried in the sand, the world ceases to exist; all problems disappear. Why risk taking our heads out and reinstating the problems?"

All pleas to these interred fellows to see that the world continues was for naught. Trying to explain that their children were running into the street and were being run over, hurt and broken, fell upon deaf ears. "If I don't see it, it's not happening. I told my child not to run into the street; why would he disobey me?"

Please, I beg you! Ignoring problems will not make them go away. I'm giving you the shovel - won't you dig yourself out so that we can begin to help your children?

15 comments:

Bas~Melech said...

I think I know where this is coming from... **wicked grin** :D

I am with you here 100%

I actually wrote a poem along these lines a few years back, but I won't post it lest people recognize it.

David_on_the_Lake said...

You mustve been walking down Easy St..

I admit...I'm sometimes like that..I just want to make it go away...and take a nap..

David_on_the_Lake said...

bas_melech...
lest people recognize it?..
from where?

Bas~Melech said...

David -- from real life (I have one, you know :P)

Dreamer-- If you can't dig them out, at least you are trying help their children yourself. To mix metaphors, Grab the apples!

anonym00kie said...

i wanna move there..
i could use some good head burying dirt!

David_on_the_Lake said...

bas_melech...
oh..How quaint
:-)

I meant..are ur poems published..?

Bas~Melech said...

Some, but I don't think this one is. Wait, maybe in a yearbook once upon a time, I don't remember... does that count? :P

I usually publish anonymously, but once they printed my name even though I said not to... I was really irked, especially since that wasn't one I liked much... and you can't mistake my rn for someone else. :(

m00kie -- I don't think they'd sell you any. Sorry. It is the fate of some of us... the compulsive thinkers...

David Melamed said...

it is truly sad. but keep your mind open, sometimes it's the teachers who have it wrong, and the parents are the ones who know whats best.
I recently heard a story about a child who was diagnosed with dyslexia. His teacher sent a note home to the parents that their child is lazy, and claims he has dyslexia as an excuse. She than refered the child for special education once a week because he is slow and lazy. That same child scored in the 98% percentile on an IQ test administered by mental health professionals. When the parents spoke to the teacher about her recomendation, the teacher admitted she never read the childs file.
When I hear this story, it breaks my heart. How can a teacher call a child with dyslexia, Lazy. It is truly sad.

My point is, the teacher thought she knew what she was doing, but was clearly misguided and uneducated.

I know this isn't the norm, and usually it is the teachers who are on the ball, and the parents who choose to remain indifferent, but you need to know that Parents love their kids, and usually want whats best for them. You need all the facts.

To be fair, everything you write in your blog indicates that you aren't at risk of making such mistakes. Keep up the great educating, the system needs people like you.

-Mel

the dreamer said...

basmelech - you think?
thanks. knew i could count on you.

david - lol.
but at least you're not DENYING the problems. (or are you?.....)
you nay escape for a while, but denying that they exist?
for shame.

basmelech - obviously. wouldn't you if you grab a child if you saw them in danger?

mookie - believe me, you seem just fine where you are. now if only this dirt could be like avraham avinu's....

mel - oh, trust me, my head's way out of the muck for this issue.
and the amount of head-hole diggers don't seem to be getting any smaller...

smb said...

Dreamer, great message

the dreamer said...

lvnsm27 - thanks.

ggggg said...

Good post- as usual.

the dreamer said...

LV - thanks.

Anonymous said...

A dentist has this ad running in the newspaper

IGNORE YOUR TEETH, THEY WILL GO AWAY!!


So some problems do go away, when you ignore them

the dreamer said...

nuch - LOL. that's REALLY funny...