Friday, May 11, 2007

Getting to Know You...



I ring her bell.
Barely a second passes
before I'm buzzed in,
though in the past
it took a couple of minutes.
I walk into the apartment.
She's sitting there.
Waiting.
I say hello
giver her a kiss
and ask her how her day went.

And then we begin.

I take out the camcorder
and ask a couple of
questions.
And she talks.
Tells the story
of a time I can't even
Imagine.
Of a place harsher than my worst
nightmares.

Tells of a time she barely
remembers
yet one that she feels
more than yesterday.

With nary a tear,
she speaks of the atrocities.
Of the family that was
but is no more
except in her heart
and in her dreams.

I marvel at her strength.
This short,
petite
weak woman
has such fortitude.

The half hour's up.
I get up
kiss her goodbye
and tell her I'll be back
next week.

Bobby
It's difficult
getting to know you
But I'm ever so grateful...

11 comments:

socialworker/frustrated mom said...

Beautiful and touching great pic to go with it.

Bas~Melech said...

Wow. That was very real and true.

Anonymous said...

touching and very well written

My bubby inspires me with her strong "emuneh" which she explains is what kept her alive in those difficult impossible times, and thats what keeps her going till this day.

they are a discontinued model, they don't make 'em anymore

cherish 'em as long as we have 'em

till 120!!

the dreamer said...

swfm - thanks.

basmelech - yup.

nuch - it's unbelievable.
i can't say i would have been able to do the same..

anonym00kie said...

what a priviledge..

it makes me ashamed to think of the things that 'shake' my faith

David Melamed said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
David Melamed said...

You are lucky she is willing to talk about her experiences, I wish I knew what my grandparents went through. I just knows little stories here and there.

about three years ago, I was traveling with 20 extended family members to a wedding, and I was going out of mind. My grandmother saw me all anxious, and she said, what are you all nervous about, I went through the Holocaust, get over yourself.

There is nothing like a little perspective to make you feel terrible about not having the right perspective.

Touching! I would love to hear her story one day.

Shmuel said...

She shounds exactly like my grandmother, A"H...

the dreamer said...

mookie - yeah, i know. i feel the same.

mel - they're just beginning to talk... it's taken a while...

jewmaican - isn't it unbelievable?

David_on_the_Lake said...

This post reallt struck a chord..as I'm someone who is throughly obsessed with the holocaust..
I'd often stare at my grandfathers blue eyes and try to fathom that these same eyes saw those horrors...

Beautiful..personal...post..

Its great that you record this for the future

the dreamer said...

david - obsessed? i don't know if that's the right word to use...

thanks you.