Saturday, December 1, 2007

If You Like Him... (2)

To make things a bit simpler, I'll henceforth refer to the woman as Mrs. D and her mom as Senior D.

So, Mrs. D led me into her her mother's apartment, and directed me to sit in a dirty, worn chair. I sat there, as she explained to me what her mom does, along with visual aids (meaning, there was a couple going through the initiation ceremony just then).

Senior D spoke to the irreligious couple for a few minutes, and then placed a towel over the young man's head. She took a pot from her stove, raised it above his head and spooned led into the water. It sizzled, and she gazed inside.

"Ahhh! Yesh ayin hara! Yesh harbeh. Mah asita?"

She poured the led again, going through similar words immediately following the gazing. She called her daughter over to look at the interesting shapes that had formed, in a kind of frenzy.
"Zeh loh tov. Loh tov..."

She gave him some mussar about living with his girlfriend without marrying her, gave him some perakim of tehillim to say and a couple other practices, and without much ado, went on to the next person in line.

Mrs. D turned to me. "My mom, she very good. Many people come, even from America, to get her advice and to take away ayin harah." (this was true - she got about five phone calls while I was there asking advice on shidduchim and the like...)

I squirmed. This was soooo not my kind of thing.

Mrs D. continued. "You know, I make shidduch."

"That's nice" I commented.

"I make many shidduch. Sometimes not my idea, but I help." She then went on a litany of shidduchim she had helped with, mentioning one or two names I recognized.

Very nice. So what?

Then she decided to make a phone call.

"Allo, Chananel? Yes, my mom, she not so busy now. You want come now? Ok. One minute."

She handed the phone to me and asked me to direct him to the apartment.

I took the phone. "Hello. Where are you?"

"At the Mir."

Gulp.

"Umm, ok." I gave him directions to the place, wondering what on earth was going on...

to be continued.... (don't worry - won't take as long as last time. report card marks are in.)

10 comments:

Bas~Melech said...

It's about time. More, please.

BTW, what kind of English teacher are you?! I assume it was lead she poured into the water. :-P
(That was in good humor, btw. If you find it insulting, please delete this comment, which adds nothing to the discussion anyway.)

corner point said...

Hee hee! This is getting good :-P

You're a good storyteller, by the way

halfshared said...

Can't wait to hear more...

David_on_the_Lake said...

ohhh longer chapters pleassseeee
:-)

the dreamer said...

BM - thanks fo the correction. That's what hapens when you right in a hurry. Their our alot of mistkes.
:P

CP - it gets better.
:)
thanks.

halfshared - soon, soon...

david - how long?

Shmuel said...

Got my curiosity going...
When was this?

Bas~Melech said...

You know there's a serious problem when I'm checking for updates several times per hour... and it's 4am.

What's going on -- Today, everyone's word verifications seem to be talking Polish to me.

Bad4shidduchim(in exile) said...

heh. I'm waiting for more. Great stuff.

AT PEACE said...

...when I thought it couldn't get any better!

You're definately a good story teller. Please hurry with more...I kept checking your blog... : )

P.S. Unrelated to this post - when do we get to hang out? I'm free a couple of evenings this week?

the dreamer said...

jewmaican - this past succos.
:)

basmelech - yes, you've got a problem. glad you finally realzed it.

b4s - :)

at peace - thanks. i try.
umm, you comin to the ohr naava shebang on thursday night?