Wednesday, December 12, 2007

The Last Day



I don't like endings.
I don't like saying goodbye.
I don't like finishing a book; the coclusion usually doesn't do justice to the plot.
I don't like stopping a song.
I don't like leaving Israel.
I don't like realizing that it's all over.

But it is.
Another Chanukah has just passed me by.
Oh, yes. I did go to parties.
Every night, in fact.
And I sang some, and danced some, and shmoozed some, laughed some and ate some.
I even heard a shiur or two.

But it's not enough.
It never is.

And tonite, I didn't even have the time to stare into the candles like I usually do.

Goodbye, my dearest Chanukah.

7 comments:

Scraps said...

I didn't even really feel like it was Chanukah this year. I hardly felt the difference. It was not my best year...and I'm sad to see it go, because now it won't be any better.

LittleBirdies said...

Time always seems to fly by me--and Chanuka was no different.

My son ZB (4 1/2) was all sad when he realized it was the last night of Chanukah. He kept saying he didn't want it to be over. I tried to cheer him up by saying it'll be back again next year, though I don't know how much it helped.

halfshared said...

I also feel so sad that it's over already. It went by way too quickly and only when it's gone, do we realize how much we needed it. I don't like endings either..

Yaffa said...

I always thought i was the only one who doesnt like finishing a book...
I also dont like eating the last piece of something I really like... cuz then there's no more...
I actually had a beautiful Chanuka B"H and altho very sad its gone, I hope that putting in an effort to remember its beauty will keep me on a high...

David_on_the_Lake said...

awww
I'm the same way..
I like to hold onto things...
memories
souveneirs..
and I do have a soft and warm spot for chanukah...
and so now..its just the cold winter..

Bas~Melech said...

Yeah, I'm no good at goodbyeing...

Can you do me a favor, please? Change the spelling in the second word, second to last sentenct, to "tonight."

the dreamer said...

scraps - i felt that way at times too...

littlebirdies - my nephew told me that his favorite time of the year is chanukah, cuz he gets to do everything the big people do (light candles, play dreidel, etc...)

halfshared - yah...

IA - see, we're not so different!

so, how was your country's rendition of maoz tzur? lol

david - i'm not THAT big into souvenirs...

BM - i like it like that. sorry.
:P