Monday, November 19, 2007

If You Like Him... (1)

So there I was, sitting on a dirty, worn out chair, wondering how to extricate myself from this mess.
Oh, where was I?
Well... Ya see, my cousins used to live upstairs from this Sephardic family. They always seemed very pleasant, and I got used to hearing their "allo"s whenever I'd visit. And after my cousins moved from the Holy Land, and I'd finished my two year stint in Israel, I'd return each year and stay at a friend who lived one building over. Six years down the line, my face was quite a familiar one to those nice neighbors.
But I never knew what they really did. I mean, I knew that they were tremendous baalei chessed and all that, but I didn't know much else.
This past Succos, I travelled to the land with my family. Our apartment was just down the street from my usual dwelling place. As I passed by the building on my last day in the country, I stopped to chat for a minute with the woman of the house.

"You want my mum to take away ayin harah?" she asked.
Huh? So not my thing.
"My mum, people wait for long time to talk to her. She very good. Come."
My mother looked at me. I gave her a quizzical look as she told the woman "Why not? Can't hurt. Go on in, ok? Call me when you're finished and we'll go to the Kosel."

So I followed the woman into her mother's apartment...

to be continued...

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah, I've heard of this, I think. A strange ceremony - do describe in detail, as I've never seen it myself.

Bas~Melech said...

Nu, nu - do go on!

halfshared said...

Please don't keep us in suspense for too long.

AT PEACE said...

Come on : ) you've gotta finish this one!

Yaffa said...

??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
It's a mighty good thing we're not a buncha cats...
What happens in the next episode???

Scraps said...

Ooh, the suspense is killing me!

smb said...

I heard a story before about a certain friend's experience. - Looking forward to reading more

David_on_the_Lake said...

Donnnttttt Gooooooooooo

corner point said...

Nee...?

Shoin kim arein and tell us!!

Yaffa said...

We hafta go into shabbos this way?

Anonymous said...

Ein hora is one of the things that is said
מאן דקפיד קפיד, מאן דלא קפיד לא קפיד

halfshared said...

Knock, Knock...

corner point said...

Okay, Dreamer. This is not funny anymore. Since I've met you (uh...the online part I mean...:P) you've never waited this long to post. If it's for the suspense, we're already killed. If not...need help?