Monday, February 19, 2007

To My Students...



When you raise your hand in question
And there's no time to answer
At the moment
I see you.

When you come crying to me
Begging me for those extra points
So that your parents shouldn't be
Disappointed
I hear you.

When you call me just to talk
And become frustrated
When I don't pick up my phone
I understand you.

When you complain to me
About the wrongdoings of
Other teachers
And how they hurt you
I cry for you.

When you're talking during class
and I ask you to take your conversation
Outside
And you're embarrassed,
I hurt with you.

When you're overloaded with work
At school and at home
And I schedule another test
I break alongside you.

When you worked really hard
And finally get that mark
You've always dreamed of
I smile with you.

When you realize that school
It just one stop along life
And you give it your all
But don't let it overpower you,

When you notice the girls around you
And befriend them
When you try hard
When you fall
When you succeed,

When you open your mind
And heart
To the world
I notice.
I care for you.
And I respect you.

18 comments:

Bas~Melech said...

First! Cute graphic (I'm the one in blue)

My problem, as usual, is that no matter what you say in this respect, the students will probably never believe you. Yes, I know I'm too cynical. But then, I suppose that's why you've blogged a poem about it instead of just saying all that at the relevant moments.

David_on_the_Lake said...

wow
I wish I had more teachers like you..when I was growing up...

the dreamer said...

BM - dunno about that. my students seem to get me. at least most of the time. usually not in the heat of the moment, but after...
btw, like the name change.

david - maybe you did. just never realized their true feelings.

socialworker/frustrated mom said...

Very nice message, really sincere, they are so lucky to have you.

smb said...

Beautiful

David_on_the_Lake said...

True..
Do you hope your students see your feelings?

Bas~Melech said...

David, I bet you had a lot, but either they didn't know how to express it or you weren't receptive, or both.

Though at times I hope students see my feelings, I'm usually quite happy they can't! :P
Maybe I could phrase it differently-- I hope that they understand the feelings I choose to share.

David_on_the_Lake said...

hmm I'm beginning to think you two are one and the same...
lol

the dreamer said...

david - some of my students actually tell me that they notice i care. do they always have that located center in their minds? obviously not. but the times they do, they choose to share with me. and i'll sometimes share it with them, too.

oh, and david - when basmelech/knaidel and i first met, we thought we were one and the same, too. so you're not the only one.
:)

Independent Frum Thinker said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Independent Frum Thinker said...

If all teachers would feel the way you do, education would be alot better.

the dreamer said...

IFT - thanks.
You know what, though?
Acting and feeling like this take a lot out of you. I don't know if I'll always keep it up, but I do hope that if I ever find myself failing, I'll have the knowledge and strength to leave before I hurt a student.

ggggg said...

Beutiful!

Bas~Melech said...

Dreamer's right. I think I remember hearing once that teaching has the highest burnout/career change rate -- that's why. You can get very emotionally involved with students.

ggggg said...

Is it burnout? Or lackluster pay that causes the career change??

the dreamer said...

LV - for some, it's burnout.
For others, it's the lack of cash.

When I get married, I probably won't be able to afford to be a teacher. Baruch Hashem, there are a myriad of other things I can go into, (and have done in the past,) but they won't be nearly as fulfilling as teaching.

Anonymous said...

Truly Beautiful!!!!!!

do such teachers really exist.. :-) then i wanne be a kid again, or at least send my kids to their class

Anonymous said...

You. Are. Amazing. The schools need more teachers like you...(or maybe when we're in school, the teachers really do care and the kids just don't realize it?)