Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Meaningless Hatred

For the past few days, I've been having some discussions (ok, arguments!) with some teens over the meaning of Sin'as Chinam. I told them that when you consider someone annoying, when you just don't like someone, when you hatewhen this person's around, when you don't like the way she sticks to you like glue... all that falls under Sinas Chinam. They were vehemently against all I said - they said that they don't hate the other; they just don't want them around...

What's your take on all this? How do YOU define Sinas Chinam?


For the next week or so, starting from aftr Shabbos, I shall be away and don't know if I'll have any internet access. I'll be back after that, so stay tuned!

7 comments:

Rebecca said...

I agree with you. Although the word "hate" is pretty strong, and that's probably why they're not accepting it. But even dislike can fall under the category of sinas chinam, even if it's not actual "hate."

David_on_the_Lake said...

I've often wondered about this...
Machlokes..based on ideology..is not really chinam..
I would say the story of Kamtza and Bar Kamtza epitomizes Sinas Chinam..
The indifference at that time and place was totally uncalled for..

Scraps said...

I'm pretty sure you're right. I had a pretty chashuva rebbetzin who's made it her life's work to study hilchos bein adam l'chaveiro teaching me that subject in seminary, and I think she said what you're saying.

Anonymous said...

If u don't want any one around, or cant stand them, that is Sinas chinom,
Bar Kamtza wasnt wanted around at that party

Anonymous said...

what if you don't want them around cuz they beat up your sister? is that still chinam?

Anonymous said...

i think its sinat chinam when u treat someone badly.
we are entitled to dislike someone, to get annoyed by them..some poeple just rub you the wrong way.. and soemtimes the best thing is not to be around them so we dont hurt them.
to me sinat chinam is when you act out on that annoyance, make fun of them, ignore them..

Bas~Melech said...

Sorry, I'm with the kids here :P
You can't help it if someone ticks you off. You don't want to be with them and you may try to stay away.

Imho, sinas chinam would be if you thought less of the other person because of it. I can say "I don't enjoy being with her, but she is still a Jew, with tzelem Elokim, and I will act kindly towards her." I can look for the good in her even as I wish she would stop annoying me.