Tuesday, August 7, 2007

The Judge



I find myself to be extremely judgmental many a time. Though I usually hide it quite well (at least, I think I do!) it irks me to no end how much I tend to judge people based on first impressions. One of the reasons why I like blogging so much is because blogging doesn't give me that chance to judge people until I absolutely know their stance and view and all else.

The crazy thing is that I deal with with so many different people from all walks of life and Judaism, yet I still am judgmental. I hate myself for it, and wish I could stop, but that takes so much work... And I've tried. Oh, have I tried, but it still doesn't seem to be getting any better.

Any suggestions?

5 comments:

Shmuel said...

I dunno. It's so hard not to be judgemental, especially after one leaves his familiar surroundings and enters into the wide world.
It's even more difficult when we realize that we have to reconcile our emotional reactions and feelings with our faith. Possibly as a result of exposure we can be a little too insensitive to things we see that are looked down upon, or even flat out forbidden according to halacha. It's so scary, and so difficult.
My suggestion? Just keep doing what you're doing, Dreamer. Be honest with yourself, even when it hurts. In turn you'll treat others with fairness and truth.
Also, try to remember that every Jew is holy, has a spark of Godliness within. Some have it more embedded, but it is there...

David_on_the_Lake said...

well...Dont stop being judgemental..just always skew it toward a good judgement
:-)

Its mpossible not to form impressions..and people often confuse impressions with being judgemental..

In halacha actually..one can form judgements and act accordingly..For instance if youre sitting next to an unsavory looking gentleman you have the right to stuff that wallet into ur front pocket a little deeper..
However if u notice its gone..you have no right to accuse him..

the dreamer said...

my problem is that i'm often judgmental when I shouldn't be, for no good reason... and though i'd like to think that it doesn't show, i'm afraid it does.

i'm not speaking about being careful - i'm speaking of plain and simple judging. I know we all (or rather, most of us) do it... it just drives me up the wall, and i really want to stop but don't know how to go about it.

Scraps said...

I think I'm like that, too, although I try so hard not to be. It bothers me a lot...let me know if you come up with any good ideas for combatting it... :-/

Bas~Melech said...

If you're trying, that's half the battle. You realize what you're doing and aim to do something different.

However, if you're being judgemental, I'll have to be a little more careful around you in the future... thanks for the warning. :P